Friday, November 21, 2008

Interview with Ohana Mama

I think the hardest part of this interview was deciding which pictures to send her! I tried to get around it but I had not choice My son got married in 2006 and I decided I would send one of the pictures from this special day! I sent the link to my son after it was posted and his reply was "Mom you cut me off"! I am 5'5" and my son is 6' 3" so it was easy to cut him out of the pictures you can see a little of his shoulder if you look closely!

Here is a copy of my interview

Today we're talking story with Kim Poirier, the Marketing Director for the fabulous and fun Olive Kids (what a cool gig to have!). I am sure many, if not all, of you have heard of Olive Kids. They have the cutest coordinates for your child's room. So you know the product...now let's get to know the marketing guru that's launched Olive Kids into all of our lives! Give a big Aloha to Kim!

Aloha Kim!, Olive Kids seems like THE place to go to get your kid's room decorated! How did you get started with this awesome company?

I started working for Olive Kids two years ago, after I lost my job and moved to the Mondnock region in New Hampshire. I looked around at the different companies that were here and decided that I loved the products Olive Kids designed and the story of how they got started. I sent them my resume (they were not hiring) and persuade them for a couple of months, then I was lucky enough for them to decide to create a position for me here.

A little bit about the Olive Kids story...Olive Kids got started by a mom (Anita) and dad (Russell) who were both in the design industry, they went looking for kid bedding for their then 3 year old daughter and couldn't find anything that wasn't geared around a kid movie or cartoon, so they took their design knowledge and created Olive Kids. When they started Olive Kids it was through licensing their products to different companies who sold the products to different stores. After a year of doing this they started getting customer calls because they found one of our product but couldn't find the others to match. That is how Olive Kids' online store was created, customers wanted what we were designing but they couldn't find it in one spot so we launched the Olive Kids web site.

The selection at Olive Kids is amazing, there's so so much! What are your favorite items that you offer?

My favorites that's tough - I love our Pirates and Mermaids design, Our plush pillow and shams are adorable but if I really had to pick I would say our floor pillows are the best personalized gift we offer, I know my nieces and nephews love them.

Are the designs at Olive Kids all original? Who comes up with the great designs?

Yes everything Olive Kids sells on our site is designed by Russell and Anita, one of them come up with a concept of a design and then they work together to bring it to life.

Where does Olive Kids get their inspiration on items to carry?

We get a lot of our inspiration from Russell and Anita's 3 kids, ideas from parents who work at Olive Kids and from comments our customers send us.

With kids of your own, how do you do it all? Share with us the secrets of being a mom and a top exec at Olive Kids?

I can tell you from working directly with Anita and Russell, parents themselves, that flexibility and organization are key to getting it all done, well most of it anyway. They also hire people who care as much as they do about the products they create and the customers we serve.

I am lucky to work a 4 day work week so I can save all the running around I have to do till Monday which allows me to have family time on the weekend. I also taught both my boys how to cook when they were little; so they can start dinner on the nights that they do not have after school activities; my 15 year old son is quite the cook. They also do all of their own laundry and have a set list of chores during the week. We share the responsibilities in the house so life is easier on everyone.

I follow you on twitter, care to share your twitter name so our readers can make sure to follow you?

Sure! @olivekids

And Olive Kids has a blog, right? What's that url?

http://olivekids.blogspot.com/

What are two things you never leave home without?

Chap stick & hand cream!

Do you have a favorite quote?

good, better, best; never let it rest till your good is better and your better is best!

Great quote Kim, I LOVE that!

No comments: