Monday, March 10, 2008

A funny Thing happen at the barn

It was a couple of weeks ago, but I just realized we had pictures I could share! I know that I have told you where we are located but let me refresh your memory. We are in Marlborough New Hampshire on 55 acres of land. Olive Kids is a family owned and run company. Our office is in Anita & Russell's back yard, they did a renovation of their 150 year old barn so their business would only be a couple of steps away from where they are raising their 3 children. Here's a picture of the barn
Now for the funny thing that happened. Russell came in one morning and told us the electric company had asked if they could land their helicopter in his field. I thought he was kidding but he wasn't! It turns out that they have to check the electric towers through out the year and the only way to do that is by helicopter. This job is for the brave and someone who is not afraid of heights! For this winter check they had two guys dressed very warmly (it's cold on the ground let alone flying in a helicopter) and they took turns checking different towers in the area. This is what is so scary (to me anyway) the brave person is attached to the helicopter and he stands outside (you can see him in one of the pictures), they get the tower, he unbuckles himself from the helicopter and hops onto the tower and clips himself onto the tower. He can only stay out there for a couple of minutes because it is so very cold. He climbs back onto the helicopter and clips himself on and flies to our field where he warms up a truck while the next man goes to another tower and they just keep on doing it until the job is down. Can you imagine being clipped to the outside of a helicopter when it is only 10 degrease with a wind chill factor in the negative! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Have a look for yourself! Seeing is believing!

No comments: